Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Flu bustin' shakes

I am a very fortunate person.  I'm not saying this in the sense of, I get everything handed to me, and everything always works out in my favour, or anything like that.  What I mean is, one of the traits that I got from my mom (that I actually like), unlike my lack of math skills, or the crooked teeth I had growing up, or the fact that I have been wearing glasses since grade six and will have to for the rest of my life, is that I barely ever get sick.  I can't even remember the last time I was actually sick, other than when I got H1N1 a few years ago (gross right?)  I've had some ill-fate when it comes to my health in other aspects - anxiety, depression, an eating disorder, and fibromyalgia (all which have been worked through and are not in the picture anymore), but as for illness when it comes to being sick, very, very rarely does that ever play a role in my life.

Despite the fact that my mom works sixty-seventy hours a week, is up to her ears in stress, gets only a few hours of sleep a night, she very rarely gets sick.  Thankfully, I've inherited that as well.  As for myself, I don't just embrace and turn a blind eye to the fact that I get sick so little, no, I also have my lifestyle to thank for that.  I would consider myself an active person, considering already this week I have been five times, and I eat a very healthy diet /cough, other than this week because well, mother nature decided to visit and I've been craving junk food like there is no tomorrow (too much information?  Perhaps, just a bit), oh well, it's my blog, my journal.  I snacked on some yoghurt covered raisins/chocolate covered raisins, and have been eating two homemade chocolate chip cookies since Monday (not so bad I guess though considering).

Nonetheless, the point of this blog entry is that, this week my boyfriend picked up the flu, or something.  He started off with a headache, then it worked it's way to his nose, and then it was a whole body cold it seemed.  The other day we were supposed to get together, but instead he decided to sleep (which, thankfully he did, because even with the million + hours he got, he still seemed like a zombie).  The next day we had planned to watch a movie, and the same thing happened.  This time, I decided I would pay him a visit with some homemade soup and an orange to try and liven him up a bit.  Well, he looked like he had been visited by a ghost.  Shades drawn, lights off, fetal position, congested to the max, despite how cute he looked while being in such an uneasy state, he looked to say the least a little haggard (all said with love - hence I brought soup to make him feel better).

After spending a bit of time with him, I realized that even though I have super power genes when it comes to getting sick, I still can't just rely on those genes and think I'm Superwoman and just won't get sick, that's not how it works.  Instead, I've been eating foods high in vitamin C, and getting a lot of fluids in me (apart from what I regularly focus on for my diet of course) this was just even more focused on than it usually is.  With that of course comes protein shakes, woohoooooo, my favourite!

Very Orange Banana Shake



The first one I made was incredibly similar to orange crush, or orange juice - I don't know.  The orange flavour was very evident and was overall just an amazing way to start the day.  I never think to use freshly squeezed orange juice rather than water when it comes to my smoothies, but in trying to protect myself I've been doing it daily and what a nice change it is with such great flavour.  Also, with the addition of the zest along with the freshly squeezed juice it gave even more flavour because of the oils released.  This was a fantastic shake, and will certainly be seeing more of this, especially come the summer.  And I can also guarantee that you will be seeing more shakes using freshly squeezed juice!  Yum!

Ingredients:


  • 1 orange juiced + orange zest
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 4 ice cubes
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 1/3 cup 0% vanilla Greek yoghurt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
  • 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder


Strawberry Pineapple Orange Shake



The next shake I had was an adaptation of the previous recipe, however, I added strawberries and pineapple au lieu of banana.  Between the two, I'm not sure which I preferred more.  The above one was evidently more creamy due to the banana, this one was much more liquidy, but just as delightful.  The combination of strawberries with the two citrus fruits was a very delightful union, I certainly enjoyed this and it was pure perfection after a nice work out.  Hopefully it also aids in not getting sick!

Ingredients:

  • 1 orange - juiced
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
  • 1 cup of frozen strawberries
  • 1/3 cup fresh pineapple
  • 1/4 cup 0% fat strawberry Greek yoghurt
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
What precautions do you take to try and prevent sickness?

No comments: