Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Apple Cinnamon Bagels



Since I’ve started developing my skills in the kitchen, one of the things that I enjoy cooking up the most are bagels.  Just like many of the things that I enjoy creating most – bowls of oats and shakes, bagels are also incredibly versatile.  You can have savoury, sweet, hearty, grainy, and many more varieties.  I recently stumbled upon a blog that I have very much been enjoying reading ­­­­­­my little celebration.

When I first started baking and would browse bagel recipes to try and replicate, a lot of them were incredibly intimidating as well as overall just time consuming.  When I bake, I don’t want to spend five million hours waiting for something to sit and rise (even though I did once make a bread that took eighteen hours to set), I would much rather make my product, let it sit for an hour, then bake for another 45 minutes or so, and have them in a nick of time.

These bagels were in my league, there was no sponge to be prepared, and even though I had to do a little bit of work with making the “apple pie” filling these were a cinch to throw together.  Seeing this recipe, I would have been a fool not to attempt them.  When I first looked at them, I thought to myself that they looked far too glutinous to make, because I knew I would end up eating the whole batch to myself but when it comes down to it, I work out, and I work out hard, I deserve to treat myself once in a while, and so I did.
When I first got into the kitchen and got all the ingredients for the first part of the recipe – the apple filling, I couldn’t wait, I knew the smell awaiting me was going to be one of my all time favourites.  Well, I was certainly right.  It had been a long time since I created something as sinful as this – I usually omit butter and replace it with either avocado oil, applesauce or a mashed banana, but this recipe, I was very reluctant in doing so and wanted to go all out, so I did just that.

The results of this bagel?  I can’t even begin to tell you.  Well, I guess I can begin, because I’m going to, but, they leave me almost speechless.  As I’ve mentioned on numerous accounts I am not a fan of pie, not at all, but give me the filling that accompanies it and it’s almost certain to be a hit – I mean how could it not when I’m a fruit fiend?  Apple pie is one pie I wish I enjoyed, I looooove the filling, but I just cannot get over the flaky crust that accompanies pies – gross.  So when I find a recipe for an almost-like apple pie in bagel form your darn right I’m going to attempt the recipe.

These were incredibly great, especially if you’re not a pie advocate but thoroughly enjoy the flavours that come with it.  These bagels made the house smell like a fresh October day.  I knew by the first few aromas that my nose got a hint of that these would certainly be a hit.  I made a smaller batch since I didn’t want to have too many to eat myself, but I quickly shot myself in the foot for that, since you can always freeze bagels, I wish I had, but it’s probably a better thing that I didn't. 

If you have never made bagels before and want to try some out for the first time, I would certainly suggest making these.  The process is super easy, the result is fantastic, and they look incredibly beautiful.  They are sweet, but overly sweet, there are gorgeous hints of cinnamon and brown sugar with speckles of apple in almost every bite.  It was very much a replica of apple pie via bagel, yum!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups warm water, about 110 degrees F
  • 2 (1/4-ounce) packets active dry yeast
  • 3 tbsp granulated sugar, plus 1 tbsp
  • 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp Earth Balance or butter
  • 3 small-medium granny smith apples, cored, peeled and diced
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp sugar

Streusel Topping - 
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2-3 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp rolled oats
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Directions:
Add 1 tbsp of butter to a large skillet over medium heat, and then add the apples,  2 tsp. cinnamon, 2 tbsp sugar and stir. Cover and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the apples are soft and carmelized. Add more sugar and cinnamon if needed. Set aside to cool.

Combine the water, yeast, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in a large bowl. Stir and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of whole wheat flour, the apple mixture, salt and 1/4 cup sugar and stir. Then gradually add 3 cups of AP flour and mix until the mixture comes together.
Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups additional AP flour 1/2 cup at a time, either stirring with the wooden spoon or working with your hands. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and no longer sticky adding flour as needed, about 10 minutes.
Grease a large bowl and place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
Remove from the bowl and punch down the dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces, about 2 to 3 ounces each. Loosely form each piece of dough into a ball and then poke a small hole in the middle of the ball with your middle and ring fingers from the underside. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place on a lightly greased surface [like a baking sheet or counter], cover with a clean cloth, and let rest until risen but not doubled in a draft-free spot, 20 to 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and grease a baking sheet. Prepare streusel topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl with fingers or a fork. If the mixture is too wet, add more flour. If it’s too dry, add more butter.
In a large, heavy pot, bring 12 cups of water and the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar to a boil. In batches, add the bagels to the water and boil, turning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip bagels onto the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 5 minutes, turn over [optional] and cook for another 30 to 35 minutes. [If adding struesel topping, spoon topping onto bagels after you've flipped them at the 5-minute mark. Otherwise, add it at the beginning.]
Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.

Have you ever made any dessert-like bagels such as this?


No comments: